The main interface of the app is divided into the menu bar, the toolbar, the list view, and the editor shown below.
Like most other apps, the menu bar is where you'll find most options and settings. Most notably, under
Diarly > Preferences... (
⌘,) you will find the App Settings.
Here you'll find a few handy tools for your journaling needs. From left to right;
- The show sidebar icon will show and hide the sidebar, entering typewriter mode.
- The map icon will open the Map View.
- In the center area, you will find the date of the currently opened entry.
- The left icon will open the previous day's entry. If it doesn't exist, it will be created automatically.
- The calendar icon will open the Calendar View.
- The right icon will open the next day's entry. If it doesn't exist, it will be created automatically.
- The information will show information about the entry currently open.
- Last but not least, the customization icon will show the styling options.
In the list view you'll find the timeline with all your entries for the selected journal. Some key features of each entry are shown, like attached images, tags, and the topmost content (title, text, tasks). This is where you can track your daily activities, thoughts, and progress.
Alternatively, you can select the notes, where you can store information without a specific date, like ideas, recipes, or projects.
The search allows you to search through all your notes across all journals. It supports tags and special keywords. You can find out more about the advanced search options.
Next to it, you can select which journal you want to open. Multiple journals are available to Diarly Premium users.
Below, you will find the filter which can be used to filter the current journal and find relevant notes easily.
- Starred — shows only notes marked with a star.
- Containing Photos — shows only notes with attached photos.
- On This Day — shows only notes written on the same day of the year as today.
- With Uncompleted Tasks — shows only notes that have uncompleted tasks.
The filter also shows all your tags, so you can find related content.
On the right, the new entry will create a new entry for today. If an entry already exists, it will add to it a time separator with the current time.
You can use the Map View to quickly find the notes you have previously tagged with a location.
There are multiple ways for adding the location into your entries:
- Add a link from Google maps
- Go into
Menu Bar > Format > Insert Location.
- Pick Location will allow you to select a location.
- Current Location (
⌃ L, control + L) will insert the current location.
- Insert an image which is geotagged. Diarly will read the geolocation and insert it.